Away in a manger:
NPDC Zookeeper Jenny Bucksmith will be feeding the pigs at Brooklands Zoo on Christmas Day
It’s the most wonderful time of the year for most of us, but for some New Plymouth District Council staff, Christmas Day means continuing to work for our community.
Around 10 staff will be doing the hard yards:
- Parks staff will be working at the Pukekura Park Fernery and Display Houses.
- Two keepers will be making sure the animals at Brooklands Zoo get their Christmas dinner like everyone else.
- The fine turf team will be moving covers and rolling the Pukekura Park cricket pitch to prepare for the 20/20 match between the Central Districts Stags and the Northern Districts Knights on 30 December.
- An animal control officer will be working and an onsite manager from the Events team will work in the evening.
- There will be staff on at our water plant and our waste water treatment facility.
- On call with be a building maintenance officer and a roading team member.
“We provide around-the-clock care for our district that doesn’t stop on Christmas Day. Our staff pride themselves on great service whatever time of the year and we also thank others who are working at this special time,” says NPDC Chief Operating Officer Kelvin Wright.
NPDC manages assets worth $2.5 billion, has an operating budget of $130 million. It reliably provides all the core services you’d expect – roads, water and waste – as well as dynamic Parks, Libraries, an art gallery, commercial forestry, a Zoo, Venues such as Yarrow Stadium/TSB Showplace and events such as the iconic Festival of Lights at Pukekura Park.
NPDC’s enquiry line (06-759 6060) and email (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be staffed 24/7 as usual over the festive season.